|Broadcast area||Alaska Panhandle|
|Branding||"Hometown Radio 800 and 94.9 KINY"|
|Affiliations||ABC Radio News|
|Owner||Alaska Broadcast Communications |
(Juneau Alaska Communications, LLC.)
|KJNO, KSUP, KTKU, KXXJ|
First air date
|May 31, 1935|
|Power||10,000 Watts daytime|
7,600 Watts nighttime
KINY began broadcasting on May 31, 1935, at 7:30 PM. It was located in the Goldstein Building until 1939, when the building was destroyed by fire on February 8, 1939. The Decker Building in downtown Juneau then served as KINY's headquarters for decades. The station moved into the building on October 28, 1940. The Decker Building burned down in June 1984.
The callsign letters have no backstory, as KINY was just a government-issued designation.
- News of the North - news about Alaska.
- Capital Chat, a local-events show for the Juneau, Alaska area hosted by Steve Holloway.
- Problem Corner, a local show for buying, selling, etc., hosted by Wade Bryson.
Notable regular syndicated broadcasts include:
- The Mike Harvey Show, a syndicated requested oldies show hosted by Mike Harvey.
- Super Gold, hosted by Mike Harvey.
- American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.
In addition to the main station, KINY has an additional five translators to widen its broadcast area.
|City of license||Facility
|K280DX||103.9||Angoon, Alaska||821||FCC LMS|
|K279AF||103.7||Haines, Alaska||82616||FCC LMS|
|K280ED||103.9||Hoonah, Alaska||777||FCC LMS|
|K235DA||94.9||Juneau, Alaska||202194||FCC LMS|
|K284AM||104.7||Skagway, Alaska||137761||FCC LMS|
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2005-05-31. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2008-02-08. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "This Day in History". Juneau Empire. 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Wallace, Brian (2005-04-20). "The Decker building burns - 1984". Juneau Empire. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Golden, Kate (June 25, 2007). "KINY, KSUP sale pending". Juneau Empire. Archived from the original on February 5, 2010. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- "Alaska Broadcasting Communications buys KINY, KSUP". Juneau Empire. June 12, 2008. Archived from the original on September 2, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Krueger, Andrew (February 3, 2005). "What's up with that?". Juneau Empire. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
- Hometown Radio 800 and 103.5 KINY Online
- KINY in the FCC AM station database
- KINY on Radio-Locator
- KINY in Nielsen Audio's AM station database